Book View Cafe members Leah Cutter, Vonda N. McIntyre, and Judith Tarr are part of the “Write Stuff” Storybundle, which runs from May 13th through June 4th. Here’s what it’s all about, from bundle curator Kristine Kathryn Rusch:
Writers need to know a little bit about everything. Fortunately, we have the internet for those pesky questions that come up in the middle of writing a novel. But sometimes, we need more in-depth knowledge, knowledge tailored to writers themselves.
I put together this bundle of writing books with an eye to knowledge. Initially, I called this the “craft bundle” because I thought all of the books were going to be how-to-write books. But most how-to-write books discuss business, and many business books on publishing discuss how to write.
So instead of focusing strictly on craft, I decided to treat this bundle like a nonfiction writing anthology. The bundle touches on everything you need to write and to have a career in writing.
I have one personal rule about writing books: the authors of the books need real writing credentials. So many people who write books on writing have never published fiction or had a real writing career.
But not here. We have worldwide bestsellers, award-winners, and career writers of longstanding. Every single writer here has lived the writing life—and has much to say about it.
We have four craft books in the bundle, provided by Dean Wesley Smith, Jerrold Mundis, Vonda McIntyre, and Judith Tarr. Dean wrote Writing Into The Dark for all the writers who don’t like outlining before they start a project. That book goes hand in hand with Jerry’s book, Break Writer’s Block Now! If writing into the dark won’t stop you from freezing before blank screen, then Jerry’s book will. Vonda’s book, Pitfalls of Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy, has excellent craft advice even if you don’t want to write in those two genres. And finally, Judy’s book, Writing Horses: The Fine Art of Getting It Right is a godsend for those of us who write fantasy, historical, or western fiction.
We have books that focus on the form your writing can take, be they short stories, novels, or audio books. Douglas Smith wrote the definitive book on all aspects of a short story writer’s career, from completion to publication and republication. You can find all that wisdom in Playing The Short Game. Bob Mayer gives you everything you need to know about writing novels to selling them in The Novel Writer’s Toolkit. J. Daniel Sawyer teaches you how to turn those prose pieces into podcasts and audiobooks in Making Tracks.
We have a book that focuses on business as well. Leah Cutter’s Business For Breakfast divides the writing business into bite-sized pieces for easy digestion.
And then there are the books on the writing life. Chuck Wendig’s 30 Days in The Word Mines gives you a peek into a writer’s day to day existence, with lots of writing tips to help you through. Laura Resnick’s classic Rejection, Romance, & Royalties shows, as the subtitle puts it, “the wacky world of a working writer.” My own, The Write Attitude, helps writers pick themselves up and dust themselves off when the writing world becomes wacky—as it so often does.
Plus, we have a marvelous bonus item. The kind folks who developed Jutoh have contributed a 40% off coupon for their product. If you’re doing your own publishing, you want Jutoh. Once you’ve set up the program, it takes very little time to create epubs in various formats (with a cover, without a cover, Smashwords-specific version, etc.). And with all the checks and tools, you can be completely confident that you have a top-of-the-line epub that will pass even the strictest e-retailer demands. The program is worth its weight in gold.
So here it is: Everything you need to know to write what you want, how you want to write it, what to do with it when you’re done, and how to survive the perils and pitfalls of a writing career.
We pretty much covered it all in one neat bundle. If I could tie it with a bow, I would.
Enjoy! – Kristine Kathryn Rusch
The initial titles in the bundle (minimum $5 to purchase) are:
- The Novel Writer’s Toolkit by Bob Mayer
- Writing Into the Dark by Dean Wesley Smith
- Playing the Short Game by Douglas Smith
- Making Tracks – A Writer’s Guide to Audiobooks by J. Daniel Sawyer
- Rejection, Romance & Royalties by Laura Resnick
- Business For Breakfast – Vol 1: The Beginning Professional Writer by Leah Cutter
If you pay more than the bonus price of just $15, you’ll get another five books, plus a very special code for 40% off Jutoh, an indispensable book creation tool for all platforms!
- Break Writer’s Block Now! by Jerrold Mundis
- Writing Horses – The Fine Art of Getting It Right by Judith Tarr
- The Write Attitude by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Pitfalls of Writing Fantasy by Vonda N. McIntyre
- 30 Days in the Word Mines by Chuck Wendig
- 40% Discount Code! by Jutoh – get 40% off your Jutoh purchase!
And as always, you can support our two favorite charities with every purchase: Girls Write Now and Mighty Writers. Both causes help nurture future generations of writers. It’s a cause very important to us (we love reading!) and we’d love it if you could help them out.
The bundle is available for a very limited time only, via http://www.storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub and .mobi) for all books!
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth to you. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to charity. We’re currently featuring Mighty Writers and Girls Write Now.
- Receive extra books: If you beat our bonus price, you’re getting eleven total books, plus a 40% off discount code for Jutoh!
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.