BVC members have picked up this meme from shouldbereading:
To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…
• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?
• What are you currently reading? “Dispossession” by Chaz Brenchley. Normally I don’t read thrillers I’ve been burned by too many that ping pong from disaster to disaster without doing anything for plot and characterization. Artificial adrenaline rushes.
But this one? It’s about a man who wakes up in hospital to find himself married to a woman he doesn’t know, working for a man he despises and three months of his life missing. Yes there is violence and adventure but they all add to the sense of displacement, of not owning your own body or mind. I have to take it in small chunks because it is… intense. Chaz has a way of looking inward and twisting the emotions of both the character and the reader so that I have to stand back and think a bit.
• What did you recently finish reading? “Grace Interrupted” by Julie Hyzy. This is a cozy mystery, #2 in a series. I missed #1 but didn’t need it to understand characters and relationships. Cozies are my comfort food and I tend to gobble them like popcorn. This one involves a Civil War reenactment group. I’ve spent a lot of time over the years hanging out at Renn Faires, Highland Games, SF/F conventions and fully empathize with role playing and dressing in character. The mystery itself was obvious in some places and twisted and surprising in others. I’ll go back to the first book when I see it available and pick up new ones as they come.
• What do you think you’ll read next? Not quite sure. “Black Swan” by Mercedes Lackey is calling me. But I’m writing high fantasy at the moment and don’t like to read the same sub genre during the rough draft process because the two tend to bleed into each other. I have some Denise Swanson cozies on my Nook as well as a new biography of Churchill. We’ll see how my mood strikes me when I come up for air from “Dispossession.” I think I’ll need something lighter to shake loose the lingering darkness.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own WWW Wednesdays post, or share your answers in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!