I’m a new addition at BVC as of tomorrow, 2/22/2010. I must introduce myself– something I’m not very good at.
I think a person’s history is less interesting than what they do.
With that, I–
- Play as good a piano as can a person with great ambition and no talent.
- Build things of wood, usually for a purpose, such as furniture or insulation systems.
- Build things of metal, usually for no purpose, such as Stirling engines and mechanical toys.
- Garden and grow fruit– I make terrible wine. By the gallon.
- Read, constantly.
- Think, always. Curiously often on evolution.
- Implement software to control machines. Sometimes rockets.
- Pilot small airplanes
- Help raise a young man.
- Write science fiction and fantasy.
The last concerns the Book View Cafe but the preceding entries inform it.
If I had two regrets they would be: I haven’t traveled enough or learned enough physics.
That pretty much covers the essentials about me.
The stories have to stand on their own so I won’t talk about them much. Sometimes they have interesting stories associated with them– the Tom Kelly house of Tom Kelley’s Ghost does exist. We live in it. But as far as I know he was not involved in an abortive robbery or knew Mayor Curley.
I’ll be blogging here every other Sunday. Some about writing. Some about science. Some about mantis shrimp— as clear an indication as could be that we’ve been invaded by aliens.
Should be fun.